EDUCATION & OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Cooperation Texas is seeking a full-time Education & Outreach Coordinator to build awareness and support for worker cooperatives in Texas. While all small businesses face significant challenges, worker cooperatives confront additional obstacles as a result of widespread gaps in knowledge about the cooperative model and its benefits among workers, consumers, financial institutions and professional service providers. The Education & Outreach Coordinator creates a more hospitable environment for worker cooperatives to thrive through education, outreach and movement building — leveling the playing field for the development and support of a new economy based on democracy, sustainability and cooperation.
Founded in October 2009 in response to growing economic inequality, Cooperation Texas is an Austin-based organization committed to the creation of sustainable jobs through the development, support and promotion of worker-owned cooperatives. We believe everyone deserves equal access to dignified employment, which is why we place those most directly affected by social and economic inequality at the center of our work. We provide education, training and technical assistance to existing and start-up worker cooperatives in all sectors of the economy, helping launch and strengthen businesses across Texas that put people and the planet first.
- Develop creative educational materials on worker-owned cooperatives.
- Facilitate workshops on the worker cooperative model in schools, churches and other community-based organizations.
- Plan creative and engaging educational events throughout the year.
- Set annual outreach & education goals, along with objectives and activities to reach those goals.
- Coordinate a team of volunteers to support outreach & education efforts.
- Develop and foster relationships with community-based partners and allies.
- Write, edit and oversee the design of outreach materials, including brochures, newsletters, t-shirts, buttons, stickers, etc.
- Manage online communications, including our blog, Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Assist in the coordination of fundraising events.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, Email and Internet.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Commitment to social, economic and environmental justice.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience with social media, including Facebook, Twitter and blogging.
- Sense of humor and cooperative attitude.
- A commitment to grow with the organization.
- Spanish-language proficiency.
- Experience with community organizing or economic development.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with popular education.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with cooperatives and democratically-run organizations.
- Graphic design skills.
Health care stipend
Paid Time Off
Professional development opportunities
Send a resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will accept applications until August 31, 2012, or until the position is filled.